Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Into the 30s

Today is my birthday, and I am now into my 30s. Turning 30 was okay, but 31 makes me feel much less excited about birthdays.

Thirties are a weird transition. I don't feel that old, and I used to think I didn't look that old. I've always been the young one. I'm the baby of my family by 10 years, I'm younger than most of my current circle of friends, and I'm younger than my husband by 6 years. But over the past year, my bathroom cabinet has accumulated anti-aging products, and I have a whole dresser drawer with underclothes and things that suck and tuck. 

I blame having kids for speeding up the aging process. Maybe 30s just a turning point, but I think kids definitely make you look older faster. I also could look older because I used to wear makeup every day and now it's maybe once a week.

Wedding 2005
First kid 2008
After second kid 2012




Looking back, it's amazing how much I've changed in nearly 10 years. I never would've thought I'd be a stay-at-home mom. I've never liked kids. But it is different when they're your own. I still don't always like them, but I can't give up on them because I've invested a lot of time and energy into shaping the little people they are and the big people I hope they'll become. I'm so grateful to my husband that I have the ability to be at home with them, watching them every day. It's so much more rewarding than I ever would've imagined. Overall, I'm okay with growing older because I get to do it with my family. Here's to another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment