Sunday, April 20, 2014

Fatten up

Recently I signed the family up for an insurance plan under the Affordable Care Act, and I had the chance to earn $50 by taking a wellness assessment. I scored a 93 out of 100. The only areas that I got moved from low risk to moderate risk were BMI (underweight, always have been) and fat intake because I answered that I don't follow a low-fat diet, nor do I pay attention to my fat intake.

This got me thinking more about the overall approach we're told to take when it comes to fat. Answering questions about a low-fat diet aren't that simple. And advocating a general low-fat diet isn't necessarily good for us. I do not actively limit my fat intake; however, I pay close attention to the type of fat I eat. I eat little to no fast food, no beef, limited dairy and avoid hydrogenated oils, the leading source of trans fat, whenever possible. I do regularly eat seeds, nuts, avocado, oils (coconut or olive) and eggs. I eat a little cheese every day and sometimes yogurt. I also love to cook with butter. (I love the smell of onions and garlic sauteing in butter.)

Low-fat diets haven't made us skinnier.
Despite the push toward low-fat diets over the past couple decades, we still have rising rates of obesity. Most current research has disproved the idea that fat makes you fat, with the exception of trans fats. (See this article from the Harvard School of Public Health) Many low-fat diets are high in carbs, and low-fat foods often have added sugars to make up for the loss of taste when you remove the fat. Plus, you're more likely to consume more food when you don't have the fat to fill you up or that "mouth feel" that we all love from fatty foods.

Fat has many, many benefits.
Fat is good for you (in moderation of course): it provides energy, builds your brain, makes your skin healthy, makes hormones and helps build healthy cells. So rather than stock your kitchen with low-fat foods, incorporate fat into a diet full of fruits and vegetables. Limit saturated fats and avoid trans fats (that is, anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, regardless of what the package says), but add in seeds, nuts, oils and avocados to get healthy fats along with protein and other nutrients. And don't waste the egg yolks. They have a lot of health benefits as well.

What is your approach to fats? What about for your kids? 


No comments:

Post a Comment