Saturday, August 16, 2014

Facing Obstacles

I was originally going to give this post a title about organizing my thoughts or something, but I've started listening to some motivational content at night, and tonight's was about overcoming obstacles. That's when I realized that that's what I really should be focused on.

A quote from tonight was "look at your obstacle and give it the appropriate value, enough to make you productive." That may not make sense without context, but it basically means not letting your obstacles overwhelm you and stop you.

To be honest, I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed lately, which makes it hard for me to get focused on any one thing. I'm also very introverted, and I pull back inside my shell when I feel like this. So, in facing up to the feeling of being overwhelmed, I am blogging about it so as not to hide from the world.

My Plate Is Full
I wrote previously about all the changes happening. I've now got to handle all the housework and maintenance inside and out, which is a lot. I also have two freelance businesses -- one as a writer and one as a Beachbody coach -- that I have to figure out how to manage my time between. I'm also anxious (nervous? sad? excited?) about sending my first child to kindergarten and my youngest to preschool in the coming weeks. I hope to increase my freelance writing business, and I even have a phone interview for a job tomorrow, and I'm incredibly nervous.

The kids are not helping, either. Although individually they are sweet, loving, playful, funny little people, together they are loud, screaming, fighting little monsters. They are also confused and anxious about all the changes going on. My daughter has said repeatedly that she doesn't want to sell the house, and I have to reassure her again and again that all our stuff will go with us, that it doesn't matter where we live or what we have as long as we're all together.

After tonight's audio about overcoming obstacles, I realize that none of the things going on is a bad thing. I'm lucky to have the family I've got. I love them all dearly on their wonderful days and in the midst of their dysfunction. Yes, there's a lot going on, and it's overwhelming. It's also a good time for me to get scheduled and organized. With a daily routine and building up better, more productive habits, I can more easily see where and when I need to ask for help.

What do you do to get centered and maintain a positive focus when life gets overwhelming?

No comments:

Post a Comment